Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Making my own laundry soap

So I came across a recipe on The Family Homestead to make my own laundry soap. I've been chomping at the bit to do it and finally got to do it today. Took me a bit of running around town to find the Washing Soda (Schnucks had it) and I got a deal of the Fels Naptha bars at Arnold's. The borax was easy enough. Anyway, I gathered my ingredients up. I got out what our group of friends affectionately call the "Mongolian Pot of Doom". Cleaned out my 5 gal pickle bucket that my friend G salvaged for me when he worked at Burger King. Then I had to wait for time to make it cuz we were super busy today too. I lamented to Bill today that I didn't want to leave the detergent in the pickle bucket but I didn't have a container big enough to hold it all. Bill smiles and lets me know that in all this super windy weather he spotted a huge cooking oil container running down the highway on his way home so he picked it up and brought it home for me cuz "I know you could use it somehow." So it's in the back of his Blazer waiting. How cool is that? Anyway about 7:30pm I got to make my soap, and yes I took a few pics. I added geranium oil for scent and let it sit. Checked on it at 10pm and it was already gelling up :) So we will see how it looks when I get up and then its ready for use around 7:30pm Wed. We can't wait! My next project will be trying to find a dish detergent recipe.

No comments: