Friday, January 22, 2010

Well we came home from shopping to find out the shower faucet apparatus had broken. Right now as I type there is a huge hole in my bedroom wall where they are putting on an entire new set up. It was that or a new shower surround that I dont have money for. Supplies ran me and Helen $102 so far. Hopefully that is all cuz Im almost broke. We were suppose to go out to a friend's tonight, I've been looking forward to this all week, but we may not if we cant get most of this done.

In good news before the shower problem Helen, Bill and I had successfully tracked down and purchased the stuff for making bar soap and dishsoap.  We made up a batch of the dish soap before the water got shut off.  Here is the recipe:
  • 1 gallon warm water
  • 2 cups shredded bar soap (we used Ivory)
  • 2 tbsp  liquid glycerin
  • 2-5 drops Essential Oil (we used geranium)
  • 5 drops Tea Tree Oil (as an antibacterial)
  • Large pot (we used the same enameled pot that we use for making the laundry soap)
Mix the warm water and soap flakes in the pot and dissolve it over low heat. (The finer the soap flakes the faster this will go) Continually stir while it is heating. Stir in glycerin and remove from heat.  Let cool until almost room temp and then add lemon juice (it says you can also sub with white vinegar) Mix in the essential oils. Pour mixture into bottles (Good thing I kept a LOT of old bottles)

As you can see by the picture below it makes quite a bit.  At first I was concerned as it was not thick but on cooling it does thicken up some.

No comments: