Saturday, February 27, 2010

Thawing out

Sorry I haven't post much lately it's been a bit chaotic for me at home lately.  I'm back on track now though and will update more. We are still colder than usual. It got up to 48 degrees or so today, I must say it was quite wonderful.  I had a really great "weekend" having Friday and Saturday has its perks. I can attend events that fall on weekends only.  For example, today I got to attend the first seed swap which was held at The Neighborhood Co-op.  It was PACKED!! I was ecstatic to see so many people such taking interest in their own food.  The wonderful woman who set it up, Sarah (you'll have to forgive me I can't remember her last name) was very gracious in her time and if today was any indication of interest I think she will have her hands full planning more get togethers. She is talking about getting together a canning group. I wish that I had known that many people were going to show today, I would have brought more types of seeds.  I told her I would be more than willing to bring more if there is another one soon.  I offered up spaghetti squash, black turtle beans, black cherry tomato, tendercrisp celery and cloud nine eggplant.  I came away from the swap with daffodil bulbs, calendula, four o'clocks, mammoth sunflower, jalepeno, butternut squash, Stella blue pumpkin, Thai basil and fennel seeds.  I am actually pretty set on seeds for here, but it was nice to score a couple seeds of new things that way we could try them out.  I'm especially excited to score the butternut squash.  Bill is eager to test the Thai basil, though he has a staunch love of the Genovese.  I wish I had more time to get to know the people at the event. I am so very wanting to have other people to talk with face to face. I did leave my name and email with Sarah (I hope Im spelling her name correctly) and when I hear from her I will try to pass along any info I get on events.  Sadly, I forgot to take my camera so I didn't get any shots.

No comments: