Sunday, March 8, 2015

Om nom nom

The thaw has begun in Southern Illinois. Everything is wet and muddy. There are still bits of ice and piles of snow here and there, especially where snowplows have created mounds of it but it got up to 47° today and it's just going up from there! Im just happy to not feel so achey and that I dont have to drive on ice!

I've been doing a lot of house cleaning and trying out new recipes. I've been trying really hard not to eat out, which is easier to do when you don't leave the house as much. But I also wanted to increase my cooking repertoire. With my first ex hubby all he wanted to eat was Hamburger Helper, pizza and canned ravioli. To this day even thinking of it can make me nauseous. The second was a great cook but every time I tried to cook on my own he would butt in and then take over. The boyfriend did this several times and I just stopped trying. After the call center closed I put my foot down. I wanted to cook and eat good food.

 Most times I forget to take pictures of the food but I've made some pretty tasty things lately. These are recipes out of Thug Kitchen's Cookbook which Walley picked up. Now, I will warn you, their stuff is meat and dairy free but these have passed Walley and the boyfriend's taste testing with flying colors and they are now going to be on regular rotation as they were originally written and also tweaked for when we are feeling at bit more like carnivores ☺ I made the stuffed peppers below with beef broth instead of veggie, because I had it on hand already.

Barley stuffed peppers


Sweet Corn and Green Chile Baked Flautas
Nailed it!
These flautas were a big hit. I've made them twice now. First time I stuck to the recipe. Second time around found us adding spiced ground beef and cheese. Next time we will forgo the cheese. We took it to a table top game night and they went quick. and while they're definitely able to go into the fridge if you have leftovers you will want to reheat them in a cast iron skillet so that the tortilla gets crisp again

No comments: